Busiest Day for Online Shopping predicted to be 8th December
08 December 2008
Monday, 8th December, will be the busiest day for online shopping this Christmas thanks to a coming together of some unique factors.
Mega Monday is a consequence of the boom in online Discount Codes, Retailers bringing their sales forward, the VAT cut and Christmas being just 2 weeks away.
"Online shoppers are bargain hungry this year. They are looking for the VAT reduction in prices and are using Discount Codes to get even better deals online" says Simon Crisp at Shopsafe.co.uk
IMRG and Capgemini estimate that between October and December this year £13.16bn will be spent online.
Last year the busiest day online was Boxing Day according to research firm HitWise, but this year the sales have come forward.
In October 8.8 million people visited discount code websites according to Nielsen Online and Shopsafe.co.uk has seen a massive increase in searches for Discount Codes as price conscious consumers look harder for bargains. Discount Code websites publish lists of codes to get a percentage off at the checkout.
"Savvy consumers now start their online shopping trips by looking for discount codes, almost before they have decided what to buy. Retailers have cottoned onto this and this year there has been an explosion of online discount codes" says Simon Crisp of Shopsafe.co.uk
- Shopsafe.co.uk is a web directory listing more than 4,000 personally vetted secure UK online shopping sites.
- Shopsafe is ranked 2nd of all Shopping Directories in the UK by ranking.com and helps over 350,000 unique visitors every month.
- The site monitors and updates discount codes every day as well as emailing new codes to 1000ís of subscribed users
- www.nielsen-online.com, an internet media and market research company
- www.hitwise.com, research company
- www.imrg.org, membership community and industry body for e-tailers